Calzadilla the Cueza-Sahagun
24 km
Today is Holy Thursday, a day off for the people of Sahagun. Restaurants, bars and public places are crowded. It is a feast day: children playing, laughing friends, lovers kiss, the elderly converse. Towards
19 hours, people gather and walk in the same direction. I wonder where they go? going to a concert? I am. I go up a lane leading to the church square. They enter the cathedral, I decided to join them.
thousand people sitting in the church of Sahagun. I sneak quietly near a pillar at the back. The bishop of the diocese chooses a random faithful, began to wash his knee and feet. I think he did it to remember the episode where Jesus washed his disciples' feet. Later, parishioners are given peace, it is with heat that many of them came and shook my hand and wish me peace and welcome. The stranger is that I am touched by their hospitality. I just realized that there is in this community a desire to socialize and collaborate with others.
After Mass, families gather in the plaza. Febrile children are a sign that something unusual was brewing. Then sort of floats begin to wander the streets of the city. They represent different periods of the life of Jesus. They are worn by some thirty men in costume with purple dress and pointy hats. The holders are veiled so that we can not recognize them. It is a tradition that was established to protect the identity of those who do penance.
A brass band accompanies the procession. Musicians aged between 8 and 75 years playing the trumpet, clarinet, drum and flute.
Finally, families join in the procession marching to the beat of the music.
I go back to the hostel light heart. Now, for me, the spirit of community exists and is shaped by the desire of its members want to socialize and collaborate.
0 comments:
Post a Comment